How to Get Started with Daz Studio
Welcome to Daz 3D! We’re here to help you get the most out of Daz Studio.
With our tools and educational resources, you can expand your knowledge on a wide variety of art and technology topics. So, if you’re ready to learn about digital 3D modeling and art, you’ve come to the right place!
We’ll provide you with information, inspiration, and instruction, as well as tools, tips, and tricks. Learn how to get started with Daz Studio so you can gain the skills to bring your visions to life. Follow the steps below to get started:
- If you haven’t already, create a new account.
- Go to Daz Studio’s Free Download page.
- Confirm the link sent to you by email to start your download of Daz Studio
2. Daz Install Manager (DIM) is the way to get the most out of your content. It offers an avenue for you to download your content with less hassle or work on your part. DIM helps you organize your content, alerts you about available updates, and offers an optimized exchange of information.
To start exploring and understanding DIM, use the following steps:
- The Daz Install Manager should auto-install with Daz Studio. If it has not, go to this page.
- Click the “Download Free Now” link, choosing the appropriate link for your operating system.
- Install the DIM. It should be fairly straightforward, but additional information can be found here if you encounter any issues.
- Note that you can click the gear icon in the upper right corner to indicate to DIM which programs you’re currently using, after which it will show only files for the specific program.
- Load DIM after a purchase or free download and to see newly available files and updates.
Now that the Daz Install Manager is up and running, you probably can’t wait to get going! Don’t worry, you’re close; there are just a few little steps left:
- Install Daz Studio (yay!):
- Click the “My Account” link at the top of the webpage.
- On the menu at the top of the screen, click “Product Library.”
- Find and click on “Daz Studio 4.12” in the list of products.
- Choose the appropriate file for your system (generally 64 bit for Windows or Mac, 32 if applicable).
- Follow the installation instructions as prompted.
- “Genesis 8 Starter Essentials” auto-installs with Daz Studio 4.12. This starter pack is totally free and offers base female and male characters, hair, a starter outfit, and lots of preset poses so you can start creating right away!
- Follow the same process to install any additional Starter Essentials packages.
- Phew — you’re done, for now. Start the software and follow the instructions on your screen to get started.
- Each time you acquire additional content through the Daz 3D store, you’ll need to click “My Account,” then “Product Library,” then download and install the corresponding file.
- Find Genesis 8 Starter Essentials in the DIM and start creating!
- Now it’s time for the Daz Tutorial:
- This tutorial will guide you through the basic elements of how to get going with Daz Studio.
- The Daz Tutorial teaches you how to load in a new figure, apply hair and clothes to your figure, load an environment, and apply a pose preset.
- The tutorial also covers further posing and shaping of your character, so you can make individual character adjustments for your scene.
- Don’t miss out on the quick tips and keyboard shortcuts for fast navigation.
- Lastly, the tutorial will show you how to set up your first render and start rendering!
Troubleshooting & FAQs
If you’ve followed every step to the tee, and something’s not quite right, we’re here to help. The most common problems for new users are:
- I tried to install the program, but it didn’t work.
Make sure you’ve downloaded the correct installer file for your operating system and hardware capacity. If you are sure you have downloaded the correct file, it’s possible the download did not complete successfully, so you may need to download it again.
If you haven’t installed or aren’t using the DIM, do so before checking anything else.
Click here to reinstall DIM and Daz Studio.
- I can’t find any Starter Essentials Packs
Genesis 8 Starter Essentials should have auto-installed with Daz Studio, but it may also be manually downloaded and installed. You can find different Starter Essentials in the Product Library, or you can use the DIM to find Starter Essentials for you.
- I can’t find my content…
You should be able to load content from two different panes in Daz Studio: Smart Content and the Content Library. Most content will appear in Smart Content, and everything that’s properly installed should appear in the Content Library.
If you can’t find any content in the Content Library, it’s likely Daz Studio is not looking in the correct location where the files are installed (or perhaps the content was not installed correctly). Left-click the option menu icon on the Content Library pane and go to the Content Directory Manager. You’ll need to add the folder containing your content to Daz Studio Formats.
- Smart Content appears to be empty.
Some content, particularly older items and content from other sites, will not appear in Smart Content, often because they don’t have metadata. You’ll need to manually load these items via the Content Library.
- I bought something but it’s not available through the DIM.
Virtually every Daz 3D product is now available through DIM. If you purchase one that is not available, and you would like to install the missing product immediately, you can download it from My Account>Product Library. Keep in mind that if you do this, DIM will not recognize that you have installed it.
If you’re still having trouble, check our FAQs. If the problem persists, submit a Help Ticket to our Customer Service. We’re here to help you start making your own 3D art!
Now that you know how to get started with Daz Studio, a whole new world of possibilities is at your fingertips. From the Daz Studio Homepage, you can find links to video tutorials and a variety of blog posts, learning resources, software, news, products, and more. Familiarize yourself with everything Daz has to offer before diving in, but don’t wait too long to start creating! We can’t wait to see what amazing things you come up with.
You can check out amazing artwork from others in the industry in our gallery. Use this tool for inspiration or to see what kind of 3D projects you’ll soon be creating yourself. You can also check out what’s new and trending, so you can keep up with the latest techniques.
Use your newly installed resources in Daz 3D to start learning or to refine your skills today! Whether you’re a beginner, an expert, or somewhere in between, we have everything you need to create stunning 3D art right here in our digital studio.
Daz 3D welcomes replies and comments about blog posts and related 3D and Daz topics. Replies that are offensive, off topic, or critical without constructive elements will not be published.